Monday, August 16, 2010

Embracing the Culture

The realization that I am indeed in a foreign country slapped me in the face today. When I travel I am conscientious about embracing cultural differences, but sometimes I forget and assume, and find myself being jolted back into the reality of the moment, like today.

I needed some things at the grocery so I went to my favorite neighborhood store in San Carlos. It actually reminds me of Smokey Bay’s in Homer, Alaska - a small space with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Of course the whole of San Carlos is made up of gringos so language is not a problem. I got the main stuff to continue my protein feast, when I realized there was no lettuce on the shelves. That is one of very few staples on my current diet plan so I have to have it. This meant I would have to go to the BIG Store in Guaymas (the working class town where everyone speaks Spanish) - alone.

Finding my way to downtown Guaymas was easy and I was feeling pretty confident when I pulled in the parking lot. I could not believe how many people were there! It was then that I realized this Super Store was smack in the middle of the City Center mall, and the people were out in masses. After all it is Sunday afternoon. I have only been to downtown Guaymas with Jan at my side to speak for me. I’ve been listening to Mexican radio in hopes that subliminally it will soak into my brain and I will magically start speaking fluent Spanish. So far it’s not working ☹

LAYS has everything available for purchase that you can imagine -- exactly the type of American store that I avoid at all costs. I actually hyperventilate when I get in this type of shopping frenzy. So my plan was to run in, grab the lettuce, pay for it and get the hell out. Of course the first problem was finding it, for a quick in-and-out. Not possible. Especially when I was unable to ask directions.

In the middle of a relaxed, slow moving crowd, I smiled to myself knowing I could not understand what was going on around me, nor did I have a clue as to where the produce was. It’s all about the adventure, right? I was on one end of the grocery section, the lettuce was on the total opposite side of the store, or so I found out after meandering around for what seemed like forever. Finally, I got what I needed and headed to the check out. Where might that be? Another bout of wandering around until I accidentally stumbled onto the checkout isles. Did I mention the hordes of people? OMG.

I had the lettuce and was knee deep in a line behind folks that had multiple carts of food to check. I glanced around to find the 10 items or less line, but no one had under10 items but me, so if that line did exist it didn’t matter. I was in for the duration and enjoying the present moment as it was presented to me. Crying babies, women chatting, teenage boys reading Hustler magazine – in fact everyone was reading magazines off the shelf, the man behind me trying to talk to me and me replying with the one phrase that I do know: “Non Espanola” and flashing a smile, as he continued talking, saying who knows what?

My observation? Ok, as a people watcher it IS about what you see. People ARE happy here. No one appeared in a rush, impatient or angry. Everyone is smiling and polite. And in the mist of all this chaos, I managed to get my stuff checked out without having to speak one word. Mucho Gracias.

I am starting Spanish lessons on Tuesday – I want to learn some basic phrases. It’s going to be memorizing and learning verbs. Motivation comes when you realize you don’t have a clue what people are saying, or how to ask for anything. When I do try to speak it always comes out in French and people look at me weird, especially the waiter who asked me a question and I responded with “Oui”. I haven’t greeted anyone with a Bonjour yet!

Tomorrow is weigh-in, another tummy laser zap, and a different diet plan for the week! Back to Extreme Boot Camp first thing in the morning. Oh Boy! I’m listening to the Doors “Break on Thru,” on Mexican radio tonight – it must be gringo night! Yes, something I CAN understand ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment