Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The "Coming Out" Party


The coming out event turned out to be a dinner party of about 10 people. Since Jan had a commitment this weekend, we decided to postpone the large dancing party that will include many of the local Mexican people, until mid-February when Meg arrives. That way it can be both of us “coming-out”. We picked up the food from Antonio’s brother, who does catering on the side. It was beef, beans, hand-made tortillas with all the condiments and the price for all of us was $15. It was delicious – although the only thing I ate was beef w/salsa on top and a green salad. Protein Baby.

The people here were Americans living in San Carlos, a very nice gringo town about 15 minutes away. John and Connie have lived here part of the time for over 30 years, returning to their home state of Utah for the Sonora summers. Dave and Merle have owned a home here for a few years. They brought two friends with them; Gail is visiting from Boise and recently lost her partner in his sleep, and Olivia is from Italy and married to a Frenchman and they split their time between Boise & Europe. Merle & Dave are retired school teacher/principal and spend their time between San Carlos and Boise. Tammy arrived with a bottle of Australian wine that she got at Costco in Hermoilles, about an hour north of here – how very USish. Tammy is a real estate agent and in love with Miguel, a well-connected local real estate developer. It was relaxing just sitting around getting to know everyone. However, not one of them knew what was killing the pelicans on the beach. Apparently it is a problem all over the west coast. I will find the WWF next week in search of answers. In the meantime I am fascinated with photographing these creatures. They are beautiful and tragic at the same time.

So okay, if you MUST know I did have 2 drinks of Tequila – mixed with bubbly lime mineral water. It’s on the diet, and NO the wine was not. Weird I don’t even feel like wine in this weather. . . maybe I said that before. Am I repeating myself? Back to the drinks. . . hey it wasn’t a margarita but it wasn’t bad either. This morning I could feel it. Interesting that I haven’t drank in a week, and I was able to feel the effects of just two drinks. I don’t know what it all means other than just an observation. Don’t panic, I’m not ready to swear off booze just yet.

So today the doggies and I have Casa Miramar to ourselves. The weekend is a reprieve from boot camp, but I did do my morning run and some yoga stretches. The soreness has turned into only an awareness of the muscles. I am reading another book written about Guaymas and the red light district in the 70’s called Zone of Tolerance by David Stuart. Can you believe this guy actually wrote a book called the GUAYMAS CHRONICLES – I had no clue? Now I have to change the name of mine. . . Zone of Tolerance has my attention for the moment and it’s fun to read in the lounge chair by the pool. The breeze makes sitting in the sun very pleasant. My body craves the Vitamin D so I am taking advantage of soaking up the rays.

Speaking of observations. Two things I have noticed. The beach is cluttered with bottles and cans in the morning. What I learned from the locals last night was that the cans are left purposely on the beach so that the poorer residents can collect them and redeem them for Cash. The other insight was that food here is extremely bland – very good, but no spices. When you order chicken, steak or seafood it comes plain with little seasonings. So that’s it, all the insights for today.

And for all of you wondering. . . Woody is back to his old self today. Like the vet said, he just needed more time to get the bacteria out of his system.

No comments:

Post a Comment