Sunday, July 18, 2010

Poor Woody


I awake at 5:30 AM to the sound of retching. That familiar sound that I know to be Woody. His little body lurching forward a few times before the vomit comes. I rush him outside and he lays down 3 piles of last night’s dinner, complete with undigested peas in green slime – I know, this is way TMI, but this IS how my day started. After a few more trips outside we manage to get him settled down and he even opted to eat his breakfast of yogurt. By now you can guess what time it is. - the start of Day Three Extreme Boot Camp. I’m off to the beach with the dogs to do my one mile run (still walking and running BTW), hoping that Woody will hold his own, or actually not minding the thought of stopping if he gets sick again. My legs are stiff but actually feel better than they did yesterday morning. Woody is better and actually never has to pause for a puke break.

There are many more dead birds in the surf today, including babies. They are both beautiful and tragic to look at. I made a mental note to contact the World Wildlife Federation in San Carlos to find out exactly why these birds are dying. I’ve been hearing that this is a much larger problem on the west coast for pelicans. Many are dying. . . but why?

The tide is almost entirely in, so running on the beach is difficult at best, but somehow we get through it and find our way back to the house, just as the sun starts getting really warm. We gather around the salt-water solar pool and begin our routine. Antonio switched it up today, giving us somewhat of a break, or so it seems. We did arm presses, and triceps work without the weights. And, our jogging, jumping jacks and pushups seemed easier. Did we actually do less, or am I getting used to this? We count in Spanish so it’s hard for me to tell, but I am learning. Uno, Dos, Tres, Quotro, etc. It’s when we get in the teens, that I get lost. We finished with the killer abs crunches again, both bad & good. Bad because it hurts like hell, and good because we know we have almost completed another day of boot camp and survived!

I called the vet in San Carlos thinking I should take Woody back in as it is the start of a weekend. He said my little doggie just needs some “time”, and that he is available 24-7 in the event I need to call him this weekend. He even makes house calls. Geeze, I could get used to this service.

So I have elected to stay home today hang out with the dogs, and lay in the sun – I know you’re not suppose to do that anymore, but I never did like rules. So with my limeade (no sugar), my book, and my Hawaiian tanning oil (Sunscreen 4, did you know you cannot find oil with NO sunscreen anymore?), I am set for a day of sunbathing and cooling off in the pool. I had to laugh, after sitting in the pool, which incidentally is great for the muscles in my legs, I returned to my chair to find Zippy stretched out on my pink towel, with my sunglasses and book nearby. It was obviously a photo op – see album. She is such a hoot. It’s hard to ever be mad around her although she can be extremely trying at time, especially when she wants to run in the other direction and is pulling me backwards as I try to run forward. As if running isn’t hard enough for me anyway. . . . .

So tonight is my “coming out” party in Guaymas. More later. . . on that event.

No comments:

Post a Comment